As of August 1st, 2013 the State Department of Finance (SEFAZ) makes it mandatory for all businesses and self-employed workers providing transport services in Brazil to generate an electronic file with the service provision details, which must be sent to the tax administration by electronic means.
What is the CT-e?
The CT-e or electronic bill of lading for transport is the new electronic communication model imposed by the SEFAZ, whereby companies involved in the transport of goods subject to Brazilian taxation are required to create and store an electronic file for each service provided to their clients.
The electronic file generated contains a series of mandatory fields that describe the goods transport service provided by any means: road, air, rail,…etc. A basic part of the issuing process is sending of the file to the SEFAZ by remote means for validation and registration, whereby businesses are granted the Authorization of Use that allows them to engage in their activity legally.
Fiscal and Legal Document
The properly generated electronic bill of lading document enjoys full legal validity when dealing with any public administration or legal situation that may arise in the course of the issuing company’s professional activities with third parties.
Legal validity is granted by:
- Digital Certificate – CNPJ: With the electronic certificate, the person or company providing the service is issued an electronic identity that allows them to provide the electronic documents with authenticity and integrity mechanisms.
- Authorization of Use: Validation and recording of the document by the tax authorities provides fiscal and legal guarantees for the company’s service provision.
Ediwin: Technical and legally ready solution
EDICOM’s technology infrastructure has passed all the technical trials and communications testing with the Brazilian tax authorities, to be able to offer our clients in the logistics sector an electronic data interchange solution 100% in line with the SEFAZ requirements.
To this end, our EDIWIN software takes care of the entire issuing process for the electronic bill of lading, consisting of its creation, sending, validation, events and safekeeping.
- Creation: The solution takes the data from the client’s ERP and transforms them to construct the electronic transport document according to the SEFAZ requirements. The tool is ready and available to work with any logistics sector software, such as TMS (Transport Management System), among others…
- Sending: The document is sent automatically to the tax authorities via a secure and direct Internet connection (web services).
- Validation: The authorities validate the file and return the document with the corresponding Authorization of Use, which legitimizes the service provision.
- Events: We take the necessary actions (cancellation, blocking, EPEC…) in line with current legislation, updating the modifications and improvements made to the same.
- Safekeeping: The duly authorized bill of lading document is stored securely and may be consulted at any time. Moreover, after saving in the Ediwin application, the DACTE (CT-e Auxiliary Document) is printed out, a document which the carriers must have with them during provision of the service and movement of goods.
Why choose EDICOM?
EDICOM’s powerful technology infrastructure, along with the 24-hour multi-language service, makes our electronic bill of lading management application the most reliable and worthwhile alternative on the market.
Other great benefits:
Outsourcing: Our solution is provided in ASP-SaaS mode, so all technological and human resources involved in rollout and management of the solution are safely in the hands of IT engineers from EDICOM.
High Availability: The solution is supplied in high availability in the cloud, ensuring permanent access to our solutions and the ongoing operation of document exchange.
Direct Connectivity: The EDICOM communication platform has a direct connection to the SEFAZ that enables real-time exchange of documents and cuts down response times.